Sunday, November 14, 2010

What a Weekend

This has definitely been an insane weekend. Very high highs, extremely low lows, and then some in the middle.

So Friday: internship and show. Same as every Friday. But this was an especially good day, because at the internship I was constantly doing stuff. And not just research, which I realize is important but I never feel like I can be officially done researching, so I never know when to stop. But this Friday I did a lot of different tasks, some in front of the computer and some away--a nice mix. I think I'm discovering that I am not someone who can sit in front of a computer all day: it gives me a headache. But even the computer-work was fun because I'm inputting names for people attending Opening Night and I was figuring out some stuff for the advertising department. Paying bills and things, which sounds dreadfully boring but was surprisingly satisfying, because I had to actually think and figure out the process. I don't know, call me geeky but it was fun to have something challenging. Not that my internship isn't challenging by any means, but I just felt really accomplished by the end of that task.

Then the show. We had a decently large audience, which is always exciting, plus a couple of friends came to see the show. After the show, I took one of the friends out to dinner and I had delicious chocolate chip pancakes from Denny's (of all places!). And then we just hung out for a while. It was great because we haven't seen each other since the summer, and it's always nice to hang out with people who you click with pretty easily. So that was a lot of fun.

Then... Saturday. Pretty much the opposite of Friday. Woke up having gotten not-enough sleep and went off for a group project. I don't want to go into details, because it was honestly one of the most frustrating moments I've had this year, but I have never been so insulted, both in terms of my intelligence and my personality and how my mind works. (Yes, those sound like the same thing, but they're not. I'm just not feeling eloquent enough to explain it better right now.) And consider this: I've been doing theatre for a good ten years now, where I have to deal with criticism left and right, and I've learned how to turn on a thicker skin. Some things really get to me, of course, but I've been working on not taking this personally since I was 10. But now they're not insulting my talent... they're insulting me. And that is not OK. Thank goodness this will all be done on Tuesday and I won't have to think about these people ever again. Plus this is all for a class I'm taking pass/fail, so in the end it barely even matters.

After this though, I was so upset that I went home, ate a snack and crawled into bed and watched a movie and napped. I was supposed to see my friends in a show but I was simply not in the mood. After nap-time, it was show-time. Went to the show, where we had a number of technical difficulties with the sound system. Very frustrating. Luckily, we're supposed to have a band back next week, thank goodness. And my cast was great--I told them about what had happened during the day, and they had a really encouraging perspective on the whole situation. It didn't change things altogether, but by the end of the show I wasn't feeling so upset.

After the show I talked a long time to my family too, which was also great. I love my family. They always make me feel better.

Today, I got up at noon (yay for sleeping in!) and didn't do anything for a really long time. Oops... I did edit down an interview that I conducted for an online "USC magazine" that's launching tomorrow. I'm a writer I'm a writer! (Kind of.) I'll put a link here once it's up.

Then off to a directing rehearsal, where I'll be playing an 8-year-old psychopath. Fun! Then another show tonight. It went really well, partially because the sound worked perfectly, but mostly because a few of my friends were in the audience and were extremely vocal about how much they enjoyed the show!! Two of them were returnees, and Spider Baby now officially has groupies, haha. And another girl from one of my classes was there, although I guess she left before I had the chance to say hello because I didn't see her after. But it was awesome to have them all there, especially since I don't see them that often. And having a really high-energy audience just makes the performing that much more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment