Monday, June 14, 2010

Spider Baby in Vegas: Weekend Two

So here's a list of some of the highlights from the weekend.

1) Friday night we had 10 people in the audience. Luckily there were more people in the house than onstage... but not by much. So that was interesting. What was also interesting was that we were all really insanely relaxed. It was good to see everyone again after the week apart, and thus I kind of... forgot that we had a show to do. The house was open before I even knew it. And since I was so relaxed, I wasn't nervous at all. I'm pretty darn sure that's how it was for the whole cast. Without nerves, it's hard to get the right kind of energy going before the show. So it passed in a blur... It was too easy, and so I don't think there was enough at stake. And I feel bad for the audience. The show itself wasn't bad, I don't think, but it wasn't enough. The 10 people that came didn't get the best performance, which is too bad. I think having a small audience is no excuse for not giving them your all, but you live and you learn.

After the show, someone came up to me and told me I had a lovely voice--apparently, she is a Vegas native and has seen a lot of shows, and mentioned me in particular!! So sweet! And then she added that there wasn't a bad vocalist in the bunch, which is awesome. She also told me that if there's ever a Monica Lewinsky musical, I'd be a shoo-in. I was very flattered... though not 100% sure what to make of that, hehe. But apparently there is, in fact, already a Monica Lewinsky musical, so I should check that out. Hah.

2) That night we all went out to the Vegas strip for a night on the town. The girls got very dressed up (I actually thought to bring a cute-ish outfit! Good for me! But I had no cute shoes so I was the only one in flats... and thus, I looked about a foot taller than the rest of the group. Oh well!) and the guys were just chillin'. It was really fun though. We didn't do anything, exactly--just walked around, saw a couple hotels, talked and took some photographs. I really enjoyed myself!

3) The Saturday show was much better. We had a good audience, both in numbers and in energy. I daresay the house may have been at least half full--sounds small but it made quite a difference. Apparently, this show has a history of having a good audience the final show. But I don't want that to be the case anymore: I want it to have a good audience EVERY show! But it made such a difference: it was so nice to have ENERGY for us! They clapped after songs (seems standard, right? But we've been going through the show without getting applause for a while. I think it's partially due to the content, but it's also due to the structure), laughed at jokes, reacted to scenes... It was just nice to know people were watching, and were interested. Beverly Washburn, who played Elizabeth in the original movie, was there and she really enjoyed the show! We talked to her a bit after the show ended, and it was just a really cool experience to hear her feedback--very positive.

Unfortunately, the energy was so invigorating that I tried a few new things in the run--mostly vocally. Trying to add texture to my voice. Didn't seem to work too well, because by the final number I was losing my voice. So I came back, had some throat coat tea, and felt better by morning. But I have to be smart about these things! Silly Katherine, trying new stuff is good but only if you do them smartly and safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment