Wednesday, July 28, 2010

One Healthy Kat

For the last few weeks, ever since I got back from Toronto, I've started paying more attention to my health and general well-being. It's not like I've turned vegan or anything like that (hah... me. Vegan. That's a funny thought. I like chicken nuggets way too much to be vegan!). But I did a lot of walking in Toronto, just to get from place to place (the three flights of stairs to get to the 3rd floor bedroom was just the kicker), and I started feeling a little better about myself. I didn't drink so much soda, and I actually ate a vegetable or two.

Thing is, I know I'm not the healthiest person. I eat a lot of junk food and I never exercise. When I was in high school, I'd be dancing all the time at PYT or for my PE dance classes. And I never worried about my weight or how I looked. I was short but I felt OK about myself. But in LA, I kind of lost track of that. I never go to the gym, I don't enroll in dance classes through SOT because I want to use those units elsewhere, and all the exercise I get is from biking to and from class. Which, needless to say, isn't much. So nowadays I'm feeling like there's a lot for me to work on. I'm not fat, I'm not saying that, but I'd like to feel better about myself. I'm not approaching it as a numbers game (I don't have a "lose 10 lbs" goal or anything like that-I don't even own a scale!), but I'd like to simply feel healthier.

So now that I'm back in the States, I've started working on that a little more. I paid the summer gym membership and went to the Lyon Center (that officially makes 3 times in 3 years--clearly fitness has not been my priority!), I've tried a couple of workout videos from Netflix Instant Watch, and I take the stairs instead of the elevator at home when I can. And if I feel like I've been sitting all day, I try to take a walk or something, just to get out and get moving.

My primary effort has been on eating better. Before Toronto, I would go through a fast food joint every couple of days. I actually don't eat a ton of sweets, despite my gigantic sweet tooth, but I do have a lot of fried food and soda. Coke is my downfall, I'll admit that. But since I've been back, I've done a little better. Haven't had much soda at all-actually bought myself juice a couple of times, and I'm not usually a big juice fan!

I've started making smoothies-I learned how to make them in Toronto and they're super-simple! I just put in yogurt, 100% juice, and fruit and I feel really healthy drinking it. Lots of fruits in one easy sip. And I haven't had a lot of fast food. In fact, the two times I've had a seriously fast-foody meal (last week at In-and-Out and today at Wendy's), I've felt kind of sick afterwords. Not ill, per se, but my stomach isn't totally thrilled with me. Maybe because I overate, or maybe because I'm starting to adjust away from it. I also had 2 Cokes today, which I definitely didn't need. One at lunch and one at dinner. But the one at lunch was so yummy, so I really wanted another one! But I still feel gross now, and it's been four hours since I ate it, so tomorrow's going to be a water and juice day.

Anyway, I feel like I'm on a decent path when it comes to eating. Now it's time to work on that fitness. I'm really lazy when it comes to that kind of thing. I want to find good dance classes in LA, but I don't really know where to start! I'm enrolled in yoga class for the start of the semester, since it's only 1 unit which'll make a full 18 with my 3-unit Costumes class, but I might drop it depending on if I get other classes. But I did an hour-long workout video from Netflix tonight (I love Netflix!) and I'm planning on going to the gym tomorrow morning.

I also joined the website Habit Forge. It's all about helping you create new habits by sending you daily emails asking you if you did such-and-such that day. If you click "yes" 21 days in a row, you win! Well, sorta. If you don't click "yes," it starts you over. I guess the idea is that after 3 weeks of doing the activity daily, it turns into a habit. So my new habit is "exercising for 30 minutes a day." I feel like that's reasonable.

Wish me luck as I begin my journey of being both OneHappyKat and OneHealthyKat!

No comments:

Post a Comment